The Y Harness is an item used to bring 2 anchor points to one. Using a Y Harness with 2 anchor points provides a few benefits such as; distributing forces into 2 separate anchor points, stabilizing a swinging payload, and lowering the chances of a zipper in rocket body tubes. These Y Harnesses are made from 2500lb (2520lb actual tensile) braided Technora cord. Technora is a para-aramid made by Teijin Limited and provides slightly better performance than Kevlar in regards to strength, heat resistance, and UV damage. (for those wanting to make their own or read up on the specs, here is the link to the raw material https://estore.twinline-usa.com/collections/technora-braided/products/braided-technora-2500). BAMA's Y Harness does not include a swivel because the swivel would be a critical failure point and the nature of the Y harness will counteract twisting motions (twisting may occur during descent due to aerodynamics of the body tube/ fins but the feature of mitigating the risk of a zipper occurs during deployment). If you would like a swivel added, let us know and we will accommodate but the strength rating would go down to only 1,500lbs!
*If you have more than 2 anchors just let us know and we can manufacture a harness to your requirements
- Total combined strength of ~5,000lbs
- One continuous cord with 2 loops/ joints instead of 2 individual pieces, 4 joints (joints lower the overall strength, more joints=less strength)
- Sew-less finger trap is used to make the loops because high speed sewing tends to cut the fibers in the cord which lower the strength and shortens the life of the Y Harness
- 1.5" loops on the anchor side and a 3" loop on the shock cord/ parachute side
- The Y Harness should extend above the edge of a rocket body tube. The length given is the hypotenuse length in the triangle formed by the legs of the Y Harness and the straight-line distance between anchor points. If you need help determining the minimum size Y Harness feel free to ask.
- Best price for a Y Harness on the market.